In no time at all, the holiday decorations will come down. Gift givers will concentrate on paying their Christmas debt, and those who received presents will decide what to keep and what to return for credit or re-gift. The year 2020 will finally move over for 2021, and many will feel hopeful that the New Year represents a better future.
The weeks that follow the holiday season represent a perfect time for deep cleaning and disinfecting your store, no matter what the year. But, as we turn the corner on the COVID-19 pandemic, more than ever, you will want to prepare your business as a safe place for the New Year.
Cleaning your store after the holidays not only gets rid of dirt, debris, and residue from sticky fingers but also strips away other illness-causing viruses and bacteria.
When planning a thorough cleaning, it makes sense to take incremental steps.
Prepare with the proper equipment:
Consider this checklist before moving forward with cleaning the store:
- Broom and dustpan
- Steam mops with disposable pads
- All-purpose cleaner
- Disinfectant wipes
- Disinfectant spray
- Disposable spray
- Microfibre cleaning cloths
- Swiffer dusting system
- Proper storing material and containers
Storing and cleaning holiday decor:
The first step in cleaning your store after the holidays involves the proper cleaning and storage of your seasonal decor. Consider these suggestions to make your holiday will be in excellent condition for the next holiday season:
- Traditional glass ornaments do well with a dusting and cleaning using mild detergent. Wrap breakable ornaments in brown paper or bubble wrap.
- If your store flaunts vintage or antique ornaments, you will want to clean them without using water. A good dusting with a clean cloth should do it. Elmer’s glue will help with minor repairs. Don’t try to fix chipped paint on vintage ornaments. The older colors won’t match easily, and it will distract from their charm. Make sure to store vintage ornaments in metal or wooden boxes rather than plastic.
- Artificial trees require a good vacuuming with the use of an attachment. Keep the tree dust-free all season with a weekly Swiffer dusting. When you store artificial trees and other greenery, add a dryer sheet or two to keep them smelling fresh.
- Make sure to label your storage containers to make decorating the next year easier.
Cleaning your store:
Removing dust, dirt, and debris through washing with a detergent or cleaning agent. Don’t forget any of these areas when planning your cleaning schedule:
- Clean the entryways and exits, including outdoor planters.
- The reception area needs special attention. Spotlessly clean and wipe all glass. Dust and polish all furniture. All phones will need cleaning and sanitizing. Sweep and wash the floor area.
- In the retail area wash the walls and spot clean to remove marks. Make certain to sweep and clean all floors. Don’t forget about spotlessly cleaning light fixtures, upholstery, and all display and shelving units.
- Perhaps the washroom represents the most important room to keep clean. All surface areas need cleaning with an all-purpose cleaner. Make sure to disinfect things such as taps, toilet handles, door handles, and all dispensers. You will want to refill all supplies and provide a deodorizer in the washroom as well.
- If your store also contains a kitchen, you will want to clean it with the same procedure as the washroom.
Disinfecting goes a step beyond cleaning:
After cleaning, you will want to take care also to disinfect during the season of colds and influenza. Disinfecting kills bacteria and viruses, and it’s a critical step in the time of COVID-19. Make sure to disinfect any areas that people touch. It’s vital to read the manufacturer’s instructions when using disinfectant products. Typically, the solutions need to stay on the surfaces for a designated period of time to kill the illness, causing germs.
We can help:
If this sounds like a lot of work, and you would rather spend your time paying attention to your business, a solution exists. At Regional Services, we specialize in everyday cleaning and deep cleaning for residential properties and commercial companies.
We also offer flexible scheduling, so you don’t need to interrupt your business to clean the store. For more information on deep cleaning your space after the holidays, contact us here.